Shri Mataji explains what real leadership quality entails

Dear All,

Shri Mataji taught that in Sahaja Yoga we are to have no hierarchy, no priests, and that everyone is equally the same:

“In Sahaja Yoga we have no hierarchy. There are no priests. Everyone is equally the same. But only for contact's sake we have leaders and these leaders have to be the best among the people they lead, the best Sahaja Yogis of the highest level. This method of appointing leaders is in a way absolutely mythical. Some leaders became greedy or carried on with bad habits. They (also) had to leave if they try to do false propaganda. This is the only way one can keep contact with the large groups, so it has to be accepted and be worked out, but not according to money, position or education but according to Sahaja life.”

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - First small English Book - Chapter 3 -"Sahaja Culture")

So... the reason for leaders in the first place, according to Shri Mataji... is that this is the only way one can keep contact with the large groups of people.... and the main attribute of a Sahaja Yogi leader is naturally... that they lead the life of a"born of the Spirit"person.

In order to keep leaders in check, Shri Mataji warned them against arrogance:

“Leaders should be very careful. They should become free of all arrogance. They are only a communication link, like I have to put a letter in the envelope and post it.”

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Guru Padwa - 24 March, 1993)

Shri Mataji also warned leaders that Sahaja Yoga is not there to make leaders out of people:

“Sahaja Yoga is not here to make leaders out of you, no never! It is just for convenience we have leaders. And if they become inconvenient we have to change them, that's all, as simple as that!"

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Christmas Puja - Ganapatipule, India - 25 December, 1996)

Shri Mataji expressed great sadness over the fact that there was athis great idea of authority' that Sahaja Yogis were using (and are still using) 'left, right, and everywhere... in almost every country':

“But still I find this idea of authority, it's something very great and they start using it left and right, everywhere it is happening practically in every country, has happened and still happening, which is a very sad thing.”

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Christmas Puja - Ganapatipule, India - 25 December, 1996)

Shri Mataji laments that this 'great idea of authority' which is becoming widespread in Sahaja Yoga so that it is 'left, right, and everywhere, practically in every country'... that it will never bring forth Her efforts to synthesize the whole. Instead it causes division among people:

“This will never bring forth my efforts. My effort is to synthesize the whole, not to divide, by no chance to divide.”

Shri Mataji also states that this 'great idea of authority' that is unholy... it has to be brought to our notice:

“Only thing, whatever is wrong, whatever is unholy has to be brought to your notice.”

Just to repeat...”whatever is wrong, whatever is unholy has to be brought to your notice":

Exhibit 1

"Dear brothers and sisters! Sahaja yogis of Russia!

I would like to use this only possibility to address to you all. The stage, when Divine Incarnation, Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, founded and personally was in charge of Sahaja yoga, has finished. The time has come now, when without Her participation formation of a new worldwide organization named Sahaja Yoga takes place. The new leaders, basing on their experience and beliefs emphatically suggested me to leave the position of leader of Russia and a member of the World Council I have been taking, as they need a completely controllable and easily directed from abroad candidate. I do not see possibility for myself to take part in such organization, as well as I do not want to fight and act with the same methods they do. Thus I leave the position I was given in 1999 by Shri Adi Shakti, as now a new organization is created, where I cannot be a leader, as principles of it's formation contradict everything taught by our Mother. I would like to thank you for all your great love and support, which I felt for all these 6 years. Thank you very much for we together reached unseen spread of Sahaja Yoga in Russia and are second (in quantity) collective in the world. And in quality, I think, the first! I leave with clear conscience.

With all my love and best wishes,
ex-leader of Sahaja Yoga in Russia
Perezhogin S.V.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adishakti_sahaja_yoga/message/4291

Exhibit 2

Sir CP:

"One thing I want to mention - World Council - is that She (Shri Mataji) desires for me to convey to you that the World Council is the highest authority in Sahaja Yoga, representing Her will. And this will be, the World Council, will be the final deciding authority in Sahaja Yoga collectives. There should be no doubt about that. That is Her will, and on behalf of Her, the World Council will be acting. Is that clear to everyone? That is Her will and She asked me to convey this, and I am conveying it to you. The final authority is the World Council. Everything else emanates from the World Council. Whatever decision is to be taken, the World Council takes, because that is Her will. The Council represents Her will. Alright? So there should be no confusion in future. That has been decided. Thereafter, what happens where is a matter for the World Council to decide. We have now to move forward, carry forward the message and act on that basis.”

http://www.sahajayoga.org/swan/view/swan_512_2006.asp
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/adishakti_sahaja_yoga/message/6321?threaded=1&l=1

Counterpoints to Exhibit 2...

1./ The World Council is not the highest authority in Sahaja Yoga, unless the World Council consider themselves higher than Shri Ganesh, your Spirit, and God Almighty. If they don't consider themselves higher than Shri Ganesh, your Spirit, and God Almighty... then they should be more careful in their assertions:

“You are under the vision of Shri Ganesh, under the guidance of your Spirit, and under tbe blessings of God Almighty. But be careful, because once you become that, you bave to keep to that Dharma, you have to be honest about it.

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Birthday Puja - Bombay, India - 21 March, 1985)

2./ The World Council does not represent Her Will anymore than any other Sahaja Yogi represents Her Will. The only way to have any spiritual association with Her Will... is to submit your will to the Adi Shakti within... the Holy Spirit within:

“Leaders should be very careful. They should become free of all arrogance. They are only a communication link, like I have to put a letter in the envelope and post it.”

3./ The World Council is not a hierarchy over Sahaja Yogis. They are not priests over Sahaja Yogis. If there is a hierarchy, and if there are priests... then it is no longer Sahaja Yoga:

“In Sahaja Yoga we have no hierarchy. There are no priests. Everyone is equally the same. But only for contact's sake we have leaders and these leaders have to be the best among the people they lead, the best Sahaja Yogis of the highest level.”

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - First small English Book - Chapter 3 - "Sahaja Culture")

4./ To say that whatever decision is taken by the World Council is taken because it is Her Will is blasphemous of the Incarnation of the Adi Shakti/Holy Spirit:

5./ Commanding Sahaja Yogis to obey a hierarchy and priests in Sahaja Yoga creates a religion which causes divisiveness. People just take advantage of Shri Mataji:

“So this religion has created this divisiveness. Even in Sahaja Yoga, you will be surprised, I have seen people taking advantage of my name, are trying to get into some mesmeric groups. I can't understand, using my name, using my photograph, so beware this should not happen to you people.”

(Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi - Christmas Puja - Ganapatipule, India - 24 December, 1995)

6./ “Men, for example, have power orientation and jealousies. Leadership is the greatest myth ever going. ... There is nothing like leaders in Sahaja Yoga, as such. It's just a joke and your Mother is very good at playing serious jokes. It's just a testing point.”

(Extract - Shri Guru Puja Message Synopsis - Avignon, France - 8 July, 1990)

Below, then is what a real leader in Sahaja Yogi is like... according to Shri Mataji.

Enjoy!

violet

THE LEADER IN SAHAJA YOGA

To be leader is a much higher test than just to be a Sahaja Yogi, because the leader has to be an ideal for others to follow. He should know and master all the knowledge about Sahaja Yoga, the modus operandi of awakening the Kundalini, giving realisation to others, with all patience and love, use Sahaja Yoga's foundations are Divine love and Divine benevolence and if you are really earnest that the whole world should be benefited then you have to develop a beautiful loving patience to achieve the realisation of others and to lead others. So, a leader has to have an approach towards other Sahaja Yogis in the Centre that he leads from the heart, and not pay a lip-service. The leader should be a patient listener, not criticising or jumping to conclusions. The leader should have a quick understanding of the complex problems which are facing an individual, or the Centre.

He should always try to find out why there is a problem and how it can be solved extremely gently, with care.

The leader should never rationalise his mistakes, which can be just a cosmetic appearance, and not the truth. The leader has to first face himself and has to purify himself so that his own purified life will enlighten others much more easily than (by) giving lectures. So whatever are your precepts, they must be practised by the leader with great zeal and with great joy about it.

That means the leader should become first his own leader, experimenting all his beautiful ideas upon himself, so that he should know how he can manage himself before he tries to handle others.

The leader should be very active, efficient, prompt, forgiving, generous, respectable and loving. If he is not respectable then respect cannot be demanded from the other members. The Sahaja Yogis will definitely respect him and trust him automatically because he manifests respectful qualities. The leader should never try to enhance his own credibility by diminishing that of others, but must always build up a democratic style of leadership that is a collective one and should not assemble"yes men"or coteries around him and should not give way to false praises. Everyone must have access to the leader in person, in case there is a problem.

The leader must understand the process of growth, which is a living process that unfolds itself like a seed becoming a tree. So, forcing or manipulating will not work out the unfolding. On the contrary it will hamper or maybe kill the living process. The best way is that the leader should also introspect and watch the natural process which is unfolding beautifully within himself.

If there is a storm or chaos around, just calm down, station yourself on the axis of peace. A leader must know that we have achieved a state by which we can put our attention absolutely on the pivotal point of peace, which he should practise again and again and master it. The leader must (by) his experimentation and the proofs he gets believe as reality that we are now in the Kingdom of God, and the power of His love, the Paramachaitanya, is completely knowledgeable and absolutely efficient. Gradually the experience of this Divine love, which acts, makes a very strong group. They will lovingly adhere to each other and feel the collective force as a living energy. The leader should try to live and to be like everyone else, not to be extraordinary, knowing consciously that if you are ordinary, that is extraordinary. In Sanskrit: 'Samanyas asamanya . Awareness is the source of your ability to lead.

So, the leader must try to watch the growth of his awareness of things, very carefully. It is very easy (if you) use (it) you can depend on your Kundalini, who will make you aware of whatever subtle area you want to be aware. You can achieve it by using your power to project your attention to whichever area you want to know more about, and it will work out. This modus operandi of your attention can be mastered by you as a leader and then you can teach all other Sahaja Yogis how to master this art of directing your attention through your Kundalini.

The leader should not stir up any emotions violently, but delicately allow the emotions of the Yogis to come up and allow them to calm down by themselves. If the Sahaja Yogis are heated up on some point, and even if you know they are right in their anger, try to understand the whole problem and make a drama as if you are also angry with them for the same reason. You should not suddenly drop cold water on the heated minds, but after acting with them try to bring them round and cool them down, then sit down with them and coolly discuss and decide whatever is the best way of solving the problem.

The modus operandi is to know how this Divine power is to be used, is to be manifested and is to be respected. The leader should not stoop down to get after or fit any one person of the group members, because your weapon is the light of the Spirit which is the ocean of forgiveness. The leader must step back in silence and be gracious. Your silence will definitely calm down the fighting spirit of any angry group member. So the leader must know and master the skill of silence, which makes the Divine power take over.

Sahaja Yoga is to be mentally understood and is practised by the heart. For some people it is the other way round. There should be no hypocrisy about the knowledge. If someone in the group finds out or experiences anything subtle, it should be listened to and very much appreciated by the leader and the group.

The leader should know self and not indulge in sycophancy at any cost: he should not have any favourites. The leader should have his absolute values and Divine experiences intact. He should never project them or give his own colour to them. He should not try to outshine the teachings of Sahaja Yoga, and never entangle Sahaja Yoga in the network of words that is Shabdajalam. The leader should not try to be spectacular or a show-off but should be innately humble. If he seeks (that) he will be carried away from reality and his great task of the emancipation of human beings.

The leader should nourish his or her group and make all efforts to make every individual grow and also the collective grow in Divinity. The leader when not able to handle anyone, should inform the world leader. Without the permission of the world leader he cannot ask anyone to leave or take anyone back into the group.

The leader in silence can feel the content and the concern of the group and also (such) like the seasons of the year. Sahaja Yoga is a living process, so it is to be worked out like an expert gardener. If anyone like a flower is drooping, find out the root cause and help the individual. Sometimes the whole garden could be under attack, so find out the real problem and try to solve it through Sahaja Yoga methods.

The efforts of a leader should be to create an honest and an open group. His job is to facilitate and illuminate what is happening, have very few rules and taboos. Too many rules reduce freedom and responsibility. Moreover, enforcement reduces spontaneity. Remember that all of the group of persons are yogis. They are enlightened people. Manipulation will breed evasion. Every law creates an outlaw. In the light of the awareness of the leader the group will grow as an honest, open, loving group, acting in a wholesome manner. Their behaviour towards each other, towards the leader and towards others in the society will be very peaceful and gracious.

The leader should be softly-spoken but strong, like water which can cut rocks but cannot be cut. The leader should know that we are all part and parcel of one unity, one body. Any harm anywhere in the body hurts the whole, so he has to be very careful not to take sides or hurt anyone who is a Yogi. All things which are against the whole create bad vibrations and negative forces build up, and sometimes they might explode and be a very big force against Sahaja Yoga.

The leader should not fuss about food or comfort. He should express contentment. He should see joy in simple things. The leader should not indulge in any contest of eloquence, nor should a Yogi be encouraged to pass blunt or sharp comments on others. Of course, subtle humour and sweet friendly, mirthful relationships like "pulling legs"Is to be enjoyed. Whatever is benevolent is good for everyone and not just for one person. If this principle is understood then most of the things will become very much easier in detail.

The leader should follow Sahaj culture, which encompasses all the good and righteousness of all other cultures. The social cultures, political cultures, economic cultures, whenever they deviate from spirituality lose their balance and their basic principles. They are not in the centre and so they will be thrown out of the circulation of evolution. Sahaj culture is in the centre, is dharmic, and makes you ascend in your spirituality.

The leader should know about... and respect... all traditional religions, all the incarnations, prophets, seers and all the realised souls of the past and the present. They should be aware of these religions, which have been in their purest forms once upon a time and might have deviated from the right and true path. That deviation can be easily detected by an enlightened soul. The people who have deviated go into a kind of a conditioning which creates a blind faith and a complete halt to the further progress of spirituality. When the religion is professing about one person, then especially it can create people who start despising other religions and criticising others and finding faults with others. So whatever religion they might profess, if they are criticising each other, they are just the same. One must realise that they have lost the sense that all religions come from the same source. They have only partial knowledge which should be expanded and is to be verified through Sahaja Yoga.

Every religion has said that you have to have your Self-realisation, your second birth, but these people can just brand themselves as self-realised or selected or elected people, and can go ahead with their blindness into the darkness of destruction. That is why sometimes we are (seeing) how certain people who are professing a religion are creating a society which is completely decadent. Those people who just believe in the Father, the God, are all right as far as their economics and politics is concerned. They might also after some time deviate very greatly, because after all it is a movement towards the right side.

Now, if they believe in God Almighty as the Father, and not in the Primordial Mother, then they can commit sins against their mother and the sins against the mother are absolute immorality. Such people will find their freedom to go into all areas of immorality which will give them all kinds of horrible diseases and troubles. So one has to be careful. Before criticising these people, the leader must tell the group to take a very benevolent attitude towards all of them, to save as many as possible by telling them what these great saints or these true incarnations have said. In any case they are getting destroyed.

Also the leader can read books which are written by some enlightened people to show where they have gone wrong. They should not say that"I say so"but they can use some other book like Khalil Gibran or William Blake or someone like that to show how things were said absolutely in a wrong manner by some. Of the people who managed to enter into the scriptures and master them.

The conditioning of religion, though people are educated, is very strong and the strength of these religions is not of morality, of goodness or righteousness, but of destruction, because they think they are the best and they try to destroy others. Sometimes when these things come up with such a vengeance people lose faith in religion as well as in God, but a Sahaja Yogi knows that there is God. A leader when dealing with such people in the presence of other Sahaja Yogis has to warn the Sahaja Yogis beforehand that they should not try to jump to any conclusions and should not say things that will upset those people who are already blind and who are going towards Hell.

If you take a very motherly attitude you will understand that these are like lost sheep and they have to be saved with great kindness, compassion and attention. But in case it is too difficult you should not bother about them. Leave them alone and maybe one day they may work out better because if the Kundalini has started working in them, gradually they will come round.

Sometimes the people who are lost in blind faith are never seeking their enlightenment or their second birth. Leaders should not force the illumination of such people because it is a big task. Instead of that, try to look after easier people who are earnestly and honestly seeking the truth. If we understand that all the incarnations are coming from the same source through their inner Divinity enlightening them, then automatically we will know that there is a higher life than just blindly believing in some faith. Somehow they should know the basic principle that all religions are the same. They came in at different times and they had to work it out according to the times: "Samayachar.” Knowing the Self...”Gyana.”.. is higher than reasoning. Reasoning comes from ego, but absolute knowledge comes from the Self. The leader should follow a spiritual life, enjoying his spiritual values and his Gyana will grow more and more on his central nervous system.

The leader should enjoy his selflessness. He must speak in the third person for example he should say"It does not work"or"It works.” He should not say"I am doing this, this is mine, these are my things.” The word"my"should be dropped completely from the vocabulary.

The leader should develop himself fully, but if he needs to he can take help from the world leader. He has all the freedom that gives him complete responsibility to decide for himself. But if he finds himself in a situation where he needs help from any other leader or from the world leader, he should go all out, because they are all your own, part and parcel of the one whole.

The leader should not be a money-oriented, materialistic personality. He should not be rigid, tough or aggressive or demanding about material things. He should not ask for money, but he should give away his things and his money as presents to people... or to help them. The modern materialistic society should never be a model for a leader.

The leader should lead a very clean, neat and artistic life. He should also respect tradition in his dress and household.

The leader should know about the world-wide growth of Sahaja Yoga and whatever is taking place.

They should keep all the cuttings from the newspapers. If the media is criticising Sahaja Yoga, then it should be noted. It is good in a way that we can see our shortcomings. If the media is not honest... one should not worry about them.

All successful experiments of Sahaja Yoga in other areas of medicine, culture, sciences, music, arts and crafts, literature, drama, poetry, business, education and schools, photography and architecture must be recorded carefully. They should be reported to all the City Centres.

The miracles of Sahaja Yoga must be recorded and should be reported to the world leaders. The miraculous photographs must be reported and shown. They should not be shown to people who are not seeking the truth.

There have been a few Sahaja Yogis who were leaders and who have had to leave Sahaja Yoga. Some of them started becoming dictatorial and started making money on their own. Some of them had some physical weaknesses for some sort of carnal love and have also departed from Sahaja Yoga. But there are some who fell a prey to their wives, who were not Sahaja Yogis and were nowhere near the quality of a Sahaja Yogi.

(First small English book/Chapter 5 -"The Leader in Sahaja Yoga"/by Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi)

Archives of FAQs and Articles on Shakti/Last Judgment/Qiyamah
Homepage

Disclaimer: Our material may be copied, printed and distributed by referring to this site. This site also contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the education and research provisions of "fair use" in an effort to advance freedom of inquiry for a better understanding of religious, spiritual and inter-faith issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than "fair use" you must request permission from the copyright owner.

search

Home
Introduction
New Age Children
Miracle Photo
Meeting His Messengers
Prophecies
Age Of Aquarius
Nostradamus
Mayan End Age 12-21-2012
Our Conscious Earth
Adi Shakti's Descent