Did Shri Mataji subject us to any such demands, donations and discipline?

Date: Sat Mar 8, 2003 9:05 am
Subject: Re Dronacharya's atrue Spirituality'

Esteemed Dronacharya,

What you say, and what Oko says is absolutely true. True spirituality, true meditation takes us to a place of oneness, love and forgiveness. This is what we all wanted, this is why we came to a master, this is why we tried to grow in love and surrender.

The central theme of most postings is, however, the perversion of this ideal by a false master. When you see so many people who are on the path so far away from this ideal, despite their sincerity, and when you see so many people off the path who feel they have been hurt and abused, there is naturally a need to understand and then to re-balance. That is what the discussion is about here.

Something which Sri Ramana Maharshi said struck me when I was under the control of CKG. He says that the spiritual life is not meant to add responsibilities to your life, but to relieve you of all responsibilities. I used to think of this when I was faced with the agenda that CKG imposed on all his disciples :

a) get up at 6 am with not enough sleep;
b) say endless prayers and sing endless songs;
c) feel that there was not enough time to really meditate after doing what obedience demanded (ie, these endless prayers and songs)
d) try to put in a half hour reading master's books
e) get out and run at least two miles and then, if able, get busy with classes to indoctrinate new seekers, do selfless service, organize races and runs, work to save money to visit NY, work to save money to send to master, memorize more Bengali songs, etc, etc.

When you reach the point that the Divine is the doer of every action in your life, then you can take on responsibility, because your mind and ego have indeed been relieved of it. But this is not the case with the disciples. The added responsibilities, demanded by obedience to the master, simply eat up time and energy. The inspiration of singing, for example, is completely swallowed up by having to learn and sing 100 songs in a language you do not understand in a very short space of time, to please your guru in his own way. Still, I know that trying to do it in the right spirit brings grace; we have all experienced the action of grace when we were sincere.

I came to the path with genuine aspiration, and I truly wanted deep meditation. What I got was something else. It was bait and switch, a classic case. The meditation classes seemed to promise growth in meditation, and the teacher claimed," My only fee is aspiration.” The books seemed to say all the right things. Then, the reality of the path was : endless responsibility and expense and additional stress. If I did everything the master wanted, I would have been a pauper.

What is in the books, and the way the path really works are two different things. You come to the path thinking that the carrot will be delicious, and after a few sunny months of happiness, or a few years, you find yourself under the stick. And then in a noose which tightens around your neck. And then you are made to feel guilty for not recruiting enough new bodies, or doing enough postering, or going to NY often enough, or giving enough money to the master, or the centre of Mikael Gorbachev, or whoever, or doing enough running, or not organizing races, or not running the NY Marathon, or singing, or whatever (the list is endless) And the ideal of peace in the heart which Sri Ramana exemplifies, just fades into the background, and all around you, you see disciples who cannot or do not meditate any more at all. They think that the master will take care of everything. They hope to graduate into the inner circle in the hierarchy. Some of these people start doing unspiritual things to please the master in his own way, like spying on others, smuggling, falsifying information, lying to Alo, attacking targets named by the master, again, the list is endless. They think they will rise in the hierarchy this way. But it never happens, they just keep slaving away in enterprises and getting poorer as they get older, understanding that the master has said : to even think about planning for your old age is an insult to your soul. And so life goes on. Many good people are caught in this pattern, and their sincerity copes with the confusion of wanting the ideal, and being trapped in a bizarre alternative dreamed up by a false master.

True spirituality, as you say, Drona, takes us to the heart of peace and oneness where there are no casualties. But the increasing demands of an asuric guru for obedience to this relentless round of activities is totally at odds with the true ideal as expressed by Sri Ramana, or Sri Aurobindo. If you go to Ramana's ashram or Sri Aurobindo's, you see and feel the difference. Otherwise, you might never know.

Naturally, one who develops inner strength will ultimately grow into a wider range of service to the world, that is not a problem. But when you look around at all the burn-out in the faces of the CKG disciples, this is not what you see. You see people whose spiritual lives have been pre-empted by the agenda of a"master"Who wants above all to achieve fame and riches. They become oriented to pleasing him in his own way with the idea that they will be taken care of by him in the inner worlds, and that his light will make up for their inability to meditate, as long as they try to be obedient to his wishes, which as we see, often include letting him have sex with you, marrying someone you have nothing in common with, working at a job that you do not like for wages you cannot live on, taking lots of your money, most of your time, your freedom, and even the pure space in your heart where the true divine should be enshrined.

The fact that some people survive, and even make progress on this path is a testimony to the reality of Grace and the fact that true Divine Compassion finds a way to bless the sincere even if they are ruthlessly exploited by a false master. Being deprived of the conditions which would help one to enter the Divine Consciousness is the worst of the abuses perpetrated on the sincere seekers who come to the path. That is what makes the false master's deceitful agenda so perverse and dangerous.

Below, is your original letter, which can be read over and over as a reminder of what we all wanted to find when we unfortunately came under the shadow of a false master. You say it very eloquently.

> Hey, thanks Oko for the reminder. From time to time we all need to
> be redirected or reminded of the higher realm of True Spirituality
> in the HEART, in the SILENCE , in the ONENESS. Only in this realm
> is our permanent peace. No casualties here, no enemies.
>
> Probably, one of the the first duties of the Swamis, as carriers of
> the Upanishads, is to POINT to that Truth or Spirituality inside
> us all. Now, I also understand that most of the time we abide in
> lower realms, in the regular truth, or intellectual perspectives,
> like the religious persp., the legal persp., the psychological
> persp., the economic persp., and it is the individuals path
> through the so called ordinary experiences of his small mind.
>
> But it is refreshing event to think or concentrate on this Higher
> Mind, Higher Consciousness or Silence, where True Spirituality
> abides, where we are truly spiritual. I wish I could be there more
> often, but that's my aspiration. Thanks Oko.
>
> Peace and Love. Dronajorge
>

Disclaimer: Our material may be copied, printed and distributed by referring to this site. This site also contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available to our readers under the education and research provisions of "fair use" in an effort to advance freedom of inquiry for a better understanding of religious, spiritual and inter-faith issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes other than "fair use" you must request permission from the copyright owner.

search

Home
Introduction
New Age Children
Miracle Photo
Meeting His Messengers
Prophecies
Age Of Aquarius
Nostradamus
Mayan End Age 12-21-2012
Our Conscious Earth
Adi Shakti's Descent